It Seems that Seams are Inevitable
Warning! Bends and Loops Ahead
Carpet has a One-track Mind
Remember Quality = Durability
This will Really Color your Thinking
Another thing to keep in mind is how the color of carpet affects the apparent size of the room. Lighter colored carpet will usually visually expand the room. Darker carpeting will seem to bring the walls closer together, and create a more intimate feeling.Neutral colors are the best choice if you expect to frequently change the decorating scheme, or if you’re trying to incorporate a lot of existing furniture. Using a neutral colored, good quality carpet is a good idea if the home will be resold any time soon. It’s easier for a prospective buyer to imagine their furniture in a room that is decorated with neutral colors.
Take Pains to Understand Stains
Don’t be Blind to the Invisible
However, carpet cushion isn’t just about feel. A quality carpet cushion helps preserve the look of the carpet, and can even extend the life and comfort of a carpet, providing it with tougher protection against wear and tear.
Also, understand that carpet cushion is sold using quality specifications, not color specifications. The color of the sample you see in the store may not be the same color as the carpet cushion installed in your home.
Be Forward Thinking, Always look Back
Finally, be Calculating! Figure the Entire Cost of Ownership.
- Furniture removal/replacement. Some retailers may charge you to remove (and then move back) the furniture in the room to be carpeted.
- Demolition/disposal of old floor covering. Depending on the existing floor covering, this can be an expensive item; also, be sure to include the cost to dispose of the old floor covering.
- Sub-floor preparation. Depending on the condition of the sub-floor, it may require additional work.
- Product delivery. Delivering the carpet and cushion to your home may or may not be included in the price you’re quoted.
- Carpet installation. Determine the cost per square foot to install it.
- Materials required to complete the installation. Your new carpet may require additional materials to install it properly, like adhesives, moisture barriers, stairnosings, baseboards, etc.
- Financing. Many retailers offer financing; financing is not an additional cost but rather an option of payment.